CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

DeKay Family 2009 Halibut Cove

This year my family took a fun-filled vacation out into the middle of no where, also known as Halibut Cove, Alaska. It is a boat ride away from Homer, which is about 5 hours drive from my parents house. A lot of people who I told that we were going camping thought I was crazy for taking a month old out there but I figured he would be easier to have in a camping setting than the two 16 month olds that were there! Dallin did great though because all he had to do was sleep!

To start the week off, we had Dallin blessed in my parents ward that Sunday. It was a very nice blessing and I am glad that we were able to do it with my family around instead of here in Colorado Springs where we don't know anyone... This is also our first really good family picture (I think).

This was the entire group that went, plus Crystal (sp?) who is Tysons sister. Tyson couldn't go since he was training and Shawn couldn't go as well since his base was undergoing some missle training or something like that. My uncle Mons and his three sons came up and then there was my family, Roberts family, Jennifer and her kids, Becca, Carolyn and her family and no Jonathon since he is on his mission. All in all there were 24 of us and 10 of which were under age of 12 and two expectant mothers!(Bethany and Carolyn)

This was Dallin in his very cute T-shirt that Becca made for him. She made green ones for all the adults and blue ones for all the kids. Dallin was super special because he was the only one who got a short sleeve shirt! That was because they didn't have long sleeve in his size, which is okay with me because it would have been hard to fit long sleeves over that sleeper he is in!

It is hard to see but between Robert and Becca there are two bald eagles that were hanging out. There was a nest in a tree on a cliff and I believe they lived there. It was neat because one night we were sitting around the fire and one of the eagles was flying to the nest and it was carrying a fish! I thought it was really neat and then some dumb tiny birds ganged up on it and flew at the eagle. I don't know who was the winner of that fight... It was very neat though to see the eagles.

And then there is my dear sweet husband. He was very helpful with Dallin all the time and he enjoyed himself quite a bit, especially when he had his rocks and water! I don't know what the allure is for him but he loves to skip rocks and so anytime we are near calm water and there are rocks he will start skipping! I think he did it like 3 or 4 times on our honeymoon... I just don't know why he likes to skip them so much! And then in the background you have all the little kids looking at seaweed and all the icky things to be found over there.

Funny story, Hannah, found a itty bitty fish on the ground after the tide went out and she put it in a plastic bag. The funny thing was is I asked her why she didn't put water in the bag to keep the fish alive and her response was that he was already dead which was why he was moving... I guess she thought if she put water in there he would stop moving! haha Another funny story is I believe it was Hannah and Cassidy were smashing mussels and an adult asked them why they were smashing them and the girls answered that they were looking for pearls! Aren't kids cute?

4 comments:

Alicia said...

It looks like you had a fun vacation! I would think you're crazy for taking a new baby camping, but it must have worked fine, your family looks great!

Anonymous said...

It is a GREAT family picture!
-Elaine

Anonymous said...

And I DIDN'T know Bethany was pregnant!!!

The Alaska DeKays said...

Thanks for "outing" me, Sarah! Just Kidding. The trip was fun and it was awesome to spend time with you guys.